Friday, May 2, 2008

My Papa Daddy...

My Dad...
When I was 2 years old my Mom took me and my sister Sue back to England on the Queen Mary...We were gone for about 3 months and my Mom said that I cried everyday for my Papa Daddy... My Dad was afraid I was going to forget him...but my Mom said that when we got off the train, I saw him and went running into his arms yelling my Papa Daddy... That is how I still feel every time I see him!
Those of you who know my Dad, know what a wonderful man he is. When he was 8 or 9 years old he got the flu...At that time to get the flu was very serious. He got better however his Mother, Father and Grandmother did not...they all died from it, One after another! Did it make him bitter or angry?...absolutely not...I think it helped to make him who he is today!
My Dad's sister Emma took my Dad and raised him. How sad is that story? My Dad never talks about it...I think it still hurts too much.
I couldn't have asked for a better Father. He loves all of his children so much.
Growing up I don't think he ever yelled at us. I knew I was in trouble if he gave me a certain look...then I was crushed because I had disappointed him.
Dad is probably one of the hardest working men I know...still at 88 years old he never stops. He is slowing down...but he still plays tennis every morning 5 days a week. Can you believe that? He was a Milkman...he would get up at about 3:00 a.m. every morning and do his deliveries, and then he would come home and work in our yard or he had side jobs mowing and gardening to make ends meet. I loved to go to work with him...Sometimes he would let me go with him to deliver milk, and I loved to go with him to mow lawns! I love those memories of my Dad and I.
Things I love about my Dad...
His Gentleness...
His Quietness...
His Teasing Ways...(He is the biggest tease)
His Kindness...
His Love for Life...
His Love of Sports...
His Love for my Mother...
His Love for his Children...
His Love for his Grandchildren...
He is such a good example to my children...My Mom has always said that we have put my Dad on a pedestal...Maybe we have...but I think he deserves to be there.
My Mom and Dad live in San Diego, and they are very very happy there. I just miss him terribly and wish he was closer as he is getting up there in years...He doesn't want to even think about moving back to the cold...he say's as long as he has breath in his body he is staying in California. The plus side of that is it is a fun place to visit!
What a Gem!
I Love my Pappa Daddy...

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

O I LOVE HIM.. HOW CUTE IS HE? I NEED TO GO SEE THEM. LETS SEE HOW MUCH TICKETS ARE AND GO FOR THE WEEKEND.

caitlin said...

Love the new header. Isn't it great the relationship between a girl and her daddy? (well in your case her pappa daddy!)

Julie said...

Sounds good to me Lindsey...